Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The New Classroom

It was so nice to see such a fabulous turn out at the Meet the Teacher event this afternoon! Almost everyone commented on our wonderful new classroom, so I thought I would post a little pictoral timeline.
What was formerly known as the "Math Science Tech Lab" was gutted with the plan to create two new classrooms for the rapidly growing Sonoran Sky! Along with splitting the 1-2 self-contained class this year, a fifth 3rd grade class was also added. 
The floors were stripped, the oven was removed, and the room was rewired. 
I coordinated the summer program at Sonoran Sky so I was at the school every day, peeking into what was to be my new classroom. 
The crew worked hard and spent a lot of time creating an appropriate environment for 1st and 2nd grade students. Since I was around so frequently, they often asked my opinion. It was nice to be able to give advice and suggest ideas regarding my new classroom. 
I was pretty excited the day they started painting a wall blue! You can catch a glimpse of Mrs. Woodard's red wall through the doorway in this photo. Lots of people have referred to our rooms as "the red room and the blue room."
After what seemed like an eternity (although it really wasn't) the fire marshall inspected both rooms and deemed them safe. Mrs. Woodard and I started moving all of our supplies in that day, which was no easy task. Other teachers had moved into both of our previous classrooms right away so we stashed all of our boxes in various classrooms, offices and labs all around the school. It was kind of like a scavenger hunt unearthing it all.
We spent every possibly minute we could unpacking and organizing our classrooms. It was a huge project, but we were both very excited for the new school year. This photo is from yesterday and there are actually quite a few improvements from today, but I neglected to take a photo before I left tonight. I'll snap a few before the bell rings tomorrow.
I am really excited to kick off the 2011-2012 school year tomorrow morning and thrilled to have a beautiful new classroom. See you bright and early! :)

2 comments: