Monday, September 12, 2011

Functional Writing with Bubble Gum

We had a lot of fun last week learning about writing instructions, specifically the steps to blow a bubble using bubble gum.
According to the students, the best part of the lesson was they all got to chew a piece of gum while writing their final draft. Yes, you read that right - chewing gum in school! The students were quite shocked!
The results of this writing activity were excellent! We learned about using details, transition words and also sentence structure and conventions. The improvements between the first draft and the final draft were vast!
Part of my "YouTube Star Teacher" requirements are to film, produce and upload videos that other teachers could potentially use. I've started recording a few lessons here and there to add to my channel. This lesson was a fun one so I thought I would try to make a brief video about it. The results can be seen here!

No comments:

Post a Comment